Involving Children and Young People

It would be great to set up a playgroup, meet other parents on the estate, but I think you’d need all those checks and stuff ....?
What about a play and stay? The parents are around to keep an eye on their kids and we won’t have all the paperwork...
We could always just book one worker to do some activities with the kids, that way we’d have a bit of space to chat!

There can be a lot of regulation when it comes to working with kids ... and sometimes people will use this to try and put you off...

But there are still ways you can help parents and toddlers in your area, make friends and get support for yourself in the process

Thank you, to download the pdf please click the button below:

Download this page as PDF
Download this page as PDF

To download this page as a pdf please submit your details below:

*required fields


  • You can run a family fun day or parent & toddler group without having DBS checks (used to be called CRB checks).
  • You can keep young people’s contact details if they are over 16 and give their consent.
  • You can ask them to sign up to your Twitter feed or to your Facebook page without asking for any personal details.
  • Try partnering with a local organisation that works with young people..

To find out more – your local Children’s Centre may help or go online to Preschool Learning Alliance.

For more information and guidance about DBS checks go to Disclosure & Barring Service or call 0870 909 0811.

There’s also a useful checklist at Volunteering England.